Freeport Area Chamber of Commerce Business Advocacy Committee
The mission of the Freeport Area Chamber of Commerce Business Advocacy Committee (BAC) is to assist the Chamber of Commerce in being a more strategic advocate for its members in order to strengthen the economic vitality of area businesses and to enhance the quality of life in the community. The role of the BAC is to:
- Review and evaluate key business issues (which could include meeting with key stakeholders, researching the topic, or surveying members for their input)
- Determine the potential impact to chamber members and the Community
- Decide whether or not to develop pro or con positions on the issues
- Develop their positions and a plan of communications and/or action
- Present their positions and a proposed plan for appropriate communications and/or action to the Chamber Board for input and/or approval
- Implement the approved plan
- Seek feedback from relevant stakeholders after implementation
The BAC will strive to be proactive in its work by anticipating issues and conducting due diligence in advance of critical deadlines. The goal of our issue advocacy is to help shape public policy decisions and/or public opinion on critical issues to the best interest of the membership in order to strengthen the economic vitality of area businesses and to enhance the quality of life in the community.
The proposed plan for communications will vary depending on the audience, nature and scope of the issue. For examples:
- The BAC may recommend writing a letter to the Editor or an article in The Communicator when trying to influence the opinion of the community at large.
- The BAC may recommend sending a letter to members of the City Council, or reading the position statement at a City Council meeting, when trying to influence City Council members.
- The BAC may recommend focusing on education of Chamber members without taking a pro or con position on the issue.
Featured Gold Member