From Our Executive Director
Chamber Chat - Issue 2
Is Is Chamber membership “worth it”?
Yes! Yes! Of course we believe that a membership in the Chamber is a good investment. We’re not alone. A recent study done by the Schapiro Group shows that Chamber membership can do wonders for your image:
- Most consumers (59%) think that being active in the local Chamber of Commerce is an effective business strategy overall. Chamber membership is 29% more effective for communicating that a company uses good business practices, and it is 26% more effective for communicating that a business is reputable.
- If a company shows that it is highly involved in its local Chamber, consumers are 12% more likely to think that its products stack up better against its competition.
When a consumer thinks that a company’s products stack up better against the competition because the company is highly involved in its local Chamber of Commerce, it is because he or she infers that the company is trustworthy, involved in the community, and is an industry leader. When consumers know that a restaurant franchise is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, they are 40% more likely to eat at the franchise in the next few months. When consumers know that an insurance company is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, they are 43% more likely to consider buying insurance from that company. When consumers know that a small business is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, they are 44% more likely to think favorably of it, and 63% are more likely to purchase goods or services from the company in the future.These statistics are interesting to me in this day and age of the digital world. Some businesses questions whether or not they should join the Chamber, or look at the Chamber as a “networking group”. Some business owners might say that their schedule is already demanding enough, andadding one more thing seems unbearable. It’s true that networking has been a cornerstone of the Chamber. Today, Chamber of Commerce organizations everywhere, including Freeport, are looking at how to help our members and maintain relevancy in today’s fast paced digital world. The new model for the Freeport Chamber of Commerce goes far beyond networking. Here are some additional reasons why Chamber membership is still important.
- Membership brings credibility
- Membership increases your visibility in the community
- Membership gives you an advocate on behalf of the business community
- Membership helps you make business contacts
- Membership gives you the opportunity to take advantage of educational and training opportunities
- Membership allows you to become involved in discussion of prevalent issues that the business community faces
- Membership helps you acquire customer referrals
These are just a few reasons why Chamber membership is still important today. Keep in mind, however, that those who maximize the value of their membership invest their time and effort, as well as their money. Get involved in events, take advantage of marketing opportunities, take the time to fill out a feedback survey, sit on a committee…any and all of the above will help you get the maximum benefits of membership. Every day I personally try to make this Chamber work harder and more effectively for our members, but I cannot do it without each and every one of you. If you have any questions or feedback of how your membership could work better for you I would love to hear from you. If you want ideas for how to get more involved with the Chamber I would love to hear from you. We are the largest business organization in the Freeport area. Together we can help make a difference in this community and in your business.
Featured Gold Member